sf // asian art museum


The Asian Art Museum is free every first Sunday of the month, so I obviously had to go check it out. Located downtown just behind City Hall, the beautiful museum building was actually once home to the city's main public library, and it definitely has that classic library feel. My friend Kelli accompanied me for the visit, and bravely kept me company in the forty minute-long queue to enter the edifice. The wait was well worth it, though, as we were able to see some great Korean and Japanese pieces from past centuries to today. Kelli especially loved the dainty and unique snuffboxes, as well as the room of mother-of-pearl boxes and chests. I kept thinking of my mom every time we passed one of those simple, timeless Japanese ceramic pieces - they would have been great inspiration for her pottery creations.

I decide to save the third floor for another free Sunday, and look forward to discovering its collections of Chinese, Indian and Southeast Asian countries!

  

  






  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment