stockholm // day 3


I’ve been meaning to tour the Stockholm metro stops, and the fact that everything opens late on Saturdays makes this morning the perfect opportunity to do so. Before heading out, I mark all of the spots Lee had said were the most interesting to see, and plan out the order in which I will get to them. Not only is this metro crawl a good way to see some free art, but it also allows me to do some people watching!

Here are the stations I stop at:
  • Hotorget - Neon lights on the ceiling and lovely aqua tiles.
  • Thorildsplan - This one was clearly made by a Super Mario fan. You’ll feel just like you’re in a video game!
  • Fridhemsplan - Cave-like, and a little creepy.
  • Solna Centrum - Still cave-like, but with added painted landscapes on the walls.
  • Kungstradgarden - Stripes on the floor. Not the most interesting.
  • T Centralen (blue line) - Mediterranean (?) patterns on the ceiling.
  • Stadion - Rainbows galore!








After a quick look inside the Stockholm Cathedral, I visit the Nobel Museum. There’s really not much to see in there, so I’m glad I didn’t have to pay to get in. Unless you’re an absolute fan of one of the Nobel prize laureates, or of Nobel himself, then I suggest you pass.



Shopping time back in Sodermalm!
  • Grandpa - Possibly the best (if not, one of the best) concept stores I’ve seen so far. Polished, hipster, original.
  • Coctail - Modcloth on crack. Basically.
  • King Lily - Great fashion store.
  • Smiley Vintage - Repurposed clothing
  • Retro Etc - A quirky assortment of new and vintage home accessories.









I grab an open-faced herring sandwich at Nystekt Stromming. The fish is incredibly tasty! I really don’t understand why so many people don’t like herring. It’s one of the best things I’ve eaten this whole trip.



The 69 bus takes me to the area of Djurgarden, and I get to watch the green scenery along the way. The Thielska Gallery has a nice collection of Munch works, but what really impresses me is the temporary exhibit of contemporary weavings by Veronica Nygren. She has a great eye for color and makes me wish I could develop my own weaving skills...












I then take the 69 bus all the way to Sven Harry's Art Museum. Even though there’s not much to see on the inside, the museum building itself is worth seeing for its golden, cubic exterior.





You won’t believe how I choose to end my trip: IKEA. Indeed, a couple of metros and buses later, I arrive at the Kungens Kurva IKEA, the world’s biggest IKEA store. I blend in with the locals and stroll through the showrooms, recognizing a few familiar pieces of furniture along the way (including our sectional couch, trash can, red console and coffeetable). I probably look a little weird, walking about and not picking anything out. The products are nearly all, if not all, the same as those offered in the States and in Canada, so no need to be jealous there! However, I’m pretty sure the Swedish IKEA has a lot more packaged food options, perhaps because they appeal more to Swedish people.

Speaking of food, I obviously don’t miss the opportunity to have dinner at the world’s biggest IKEA restaurant. And there’s no way I’m ordering anything else than meatballs with gravy, peas and mashed potatoes! In case you’re wondering, they taste the same as they would back home - very good, that is. I couldn’t care less if they were made of horse meat. For dessert I get another one of those chocolate truffle balls covered in coconut shavings (Söstak Kakaobolle), as well as some unusual marzipan coated pastries that are apparently called Söstak Dammsugare.





No comments:

Post a Comment