cliffs of moher



At 7:30am, I head next door to Paddywagon Tours, where I meet my group and depart for a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. Our first stop is Kinvara, a picturesque little village of colorful houses. It’s quite similar to Crail, actually, if only a little livelier (just a tad, though).




Then, we make a slightly longer stop at Corcomroe Abbey (Mainistir Chorca Mrua). The abbey, of which today only remain the ruins, was founded in 1194 by Dónal Mór O’Brien, King of Thomond. It features, a “typically Cistercian design”. I don’t know what that means, but if I had to describe it to you I’d say it’s very plain and made out of rocks.






As an appetizer to the Cliffs of Moher, we stop at the Baby Cliffs. Apparently, these are ‘an ideal spot to view whales and dolphins’ when ‘tis the right season. It’s not the right season, so I’ll have to come back another time to see these sea critters! Animals or no animals, the Baby Cliffs are lovely. The sea is a beautiful shade of navy blue and there are great photos to be taken here.






We finally make it to the world-famous Cliffs of Moher (seriously - they’re all over my Pinterest feed). The Cliffs are 214m at their highest point, and range for 8 kilometers over the Atlantic Ocean. I first walk along the ‘Small Cliffs’, which gives me breathtaking views of the ‘Big Cliffs’. I then do the exact opposite. It’s an incredible experience, and I’ll never forget the sheer height of these dark cliffs. If you have vertigo like myself, the cliffs are completely fine as long as you don’t get too near the edges (I don’t really see why you’d want to do that anyway).









After a final photo stop at Bunratty Castle (built in 1425), we board the bus and return to the city.



Once we get back in Dublin, I have a quick dinner at Pieman Cafe.. And because I’ll never pass up the opportunity to squeeze some sweet potato into my day, I get (you guessed it) the sweet potato and feta pie (6€). It is served with a generous glob of delicious gravy. How does it compare to the Heidi Pie I had from Pie Minister in London? Well, it’s pretty different: lighter and crispier, I’d say. And the gravy is definitely a nice touch.



I’m craving something sweet, but unfortunately all the bakeries I pass by are closed (Bakehouse looked particularly good). I’m intrigued by Eddie Rocket's, a typical American diner on O’Connell Street. As an American and diner-connoisseur myself, I must say this place is pretty legit. My large brownie sundae (4€) is exactly what I needed. Thanks, Eddie Rocket!

After dinner I go to Jacob’s Inn, Isaacs Hostel’s brother hostel, where I watch Death at a Funeral for the first time (on the Irish Netflix, no less!). It’s a hilarious film that I’ll definitely add to my ‘favorite comedies’ repertoire.




2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post! Not to mention how painstakingly beautiful! I think your photography is just getting better and better ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Emma! I'm back to using VSCO for the filters

      Delete